HoA-ReC/N EU Renewable Energy Technology (RET) and Energy Efficient (EE) Project for Rural Households
Location and country
3 provinces and regions:
Tigray, region: Kolatembien
Amhara, region: Bati
Oromia, regions: Fedis, Arsi Negele, Boset, Adea
10,000 + households in rural areas that do not have access to electricity, selected in the 6 regions mentioned.
The HoA-ReC/N EU RET/ EE project.
The creation of 20 Renewable Energy Technology (RET) Centres spread across the 6 regions.
The role of the 20 centres is to promote, market and sell RET/SCI and hold training sessions in their respective regions. The 20 centres will produce hay baskets as well.
In 6 of the 20 centres (1 centre per region) RET will take place, of which ISC production and the assembly of cooking appliances is part.
All 20 RET Centres operate as small businesses, subsidised during the start-up phase and financially independent in 2016.
August 2011 – 2015 with a project extension until August 2016.
The RET/EE Project (up to and including 2016) amounts to a total of € 3,258,877.
EU (European Union); co-financing ICCO, ORDA, ENDA; SCN € 9,760 per annum.
- Addis Ababa University, Horn of Africa Environment Centre & Network (HoA-ReC/N),
Dr. Araya Asfaw, Director
Energy Staff, Mesfin Kinfu, General Management
Fikirte Regassa Beyene, ISC Project Officer / SCN Representative
- ICCO, GIZ, SNV, SCN
Locally responsible NGOs:
ENDA: Boset and Fedis
ANCEDA: Arsi Negele
- Solar Cooking The Netherlands:
ISC Coordinator: Clara Thomas
Present state of affairs
- 20 centres have been completed.
- RET/ISC production has started in 6 centres.
- Staff of all centres has been trained in RET/ISC production, promotion, marketing and distribution.
- Staff of all centres has been trained in the management of a small RET/ISC business.
- In 6 regions women have been selected and trained to become RET/ISC instructors and marketers.
- The instructors and marketers will in turn disseminate RET/ISC information among groups of women from their own villages and train them in the use of RET/ISC
- cooking appliances and products.
- The RET centres will be subsidised until August 2016.